Thursday 14 July 2011

John Morrison Interview Is Here!!!

Sorry it took so long but I am now able to happily say that one of the greatest interviews has been done! John radiated enthusiasm and stories full of fun-filled information! It was a great experience! Here it is:

Me: Did you want to become a professional drummer and if so, why?
John Morrison: I didn’t know that I wanted to become a professional drummer to start with, I started playing brass instruments and played drums in the church band. Some of the musicians who played in that band played professionally and often James and I would get to play in some of their gigs. By the time I was 15 I was playing in clubs and I had a small income. I was really mad about flying and just before my 16th birthday I’d saved up all my money and bought flying lessons. By the time I finished high school I started commercial flying and I had done all types of flying. Eventually the company who I was flying for was taking bands around and they asked me if I would like to take this jazz band around. The band leader, Bob Banard, said that I should bring my drums so that I can play drums and fly the band around. I then toured with Don Burrows, Bob Bernard, my brother a couple of others and I became known as this flying drummer. I got drawn back into the music and it was interesting because although I love flying and I’m still a commercial flyer and I still work sometimes, the music has great challenges in it for me however flying is very disciplined so it gives me some variety. Really music chose me.
Me: Which performance have you enjoyed the most?
JM:  Being a jazz musician, the real answer to that is the last one. So in a sense my last gig. The most memorable one might’ve been at the 2000 Olympics in Sydney or playing for Bush or Clinton. I also remember playing for the King of Thailand and he pulled out a saxophone and started playing with us. I asked him why do you play the saxophone and he said because the saxophone doesn’t know I’m a king. “As a sax player I have to practice like everyone else. I can have everything I want but to be a good musician I have to work”.
Me: Which performance has been the longest?
JM: Now that is an easy one. When I was 22 (in 1982) my band tried to break the world record for playing jazz non-stop and we went for around 10 hours. We did not break the record. We recently broke the record for the most sax players at once.
Me: If your friend wanted to become a professional drummer what would you tell them is the key to becoming one?
JM: The key is to be musical. Be a musician rather than a drummer. It is good to know what else you’re good at so when there is not much work around you can do something else. You need a well rounded career to make a long term income from it and stay interested. Have a broad scope and bring your other skills to music.
Me: Why did you want to become a jazz musician?
JM: I think Jazz chose me. I did some rock and other styles when I was younger but find Jazz gives me the most freedom.
Me: Do you enjoy playing any other instrument?
JM: Well I do have a trombone which I enjoy playing but not sure whether others do. As I said I used to play brass instruments. I play bass guitar as well and really enjoy that. I often sing while I play so maybe that is one of my instruments.
Me: On your drums you have a monkey, is it significant?
JM: We were playing at the Zoo with Carl Riseley and a teacher from a school threw their mascot on the stage and Carl placed it on the drums. It was a great success and so it stayed with us. 
 Me: Where did your nick name “Cat in the Hat” come from?
JM: Well the hat matches my hat and the hat has a bit of a history. The first hat I was encouraged to where when I was about 12 and I was in an orchestra and the conductor waited 5 minutes for me to arrive as he couldn’t see me sitting at the drums. So from then on I wore a hat so he could find me on the drums. Sometimes I would leave it on the cymbals while I took a break as well.
Me: Where did you grow up?
JM: Here on Pittwater. My family have been here since the 1930s and built boats. James and I as kids mucked around by the water on our dinghy – it was like how most kids use a push bike to get round but we used our dingy.
Me: What occupation did you want to have as a little boy?
JM: That’s an easy question – an astronaut. I used to build rockets as a kid with boxes and fireworks.
Me: Did you ever think you might not become a professional musician?
JM: No. I think I had a lot of commitment to see it happen and the rewards it gives are great and they keep you motivated.
Me:  Who were your role models?
JM: Hmm...
Me: What is your favourite place to fly to?
JM: I really like this place called William Creek in the middle of South Australia. You take the plane and land on the track outside the pub. All the rooms end up with planes parked outside them rather than cars. There is also a donkey that lives there as the pub’s pet. When you have dinner the donkey likes to walk around the pub.
Me: What is your favourite type of plane to fly?
JM: I have been flying a metro liner lately. It’s an 18 seater, and I have a licence to fly it on my own. So this is the plane I like to fly at the moment.
Me: Why do you choose to live on a houseboat?
JM:  Just look around the boat, the river and parks around here are why we live here.
Me: Do you have any hobbies?
JM: Yes I have a great hobby which is building model airplanes and helicopters.
Me: Favourite sport?
JM: I am not a big sports watcher but I like kayaking and I surfed when I was younger. I am going to enter a big kayak race in October along the Hawkesbury. We will be raising money for bone marrow research.
Me: Do you have a favourite car?
JM: Yep I have a golden 1977 Mercedes (280 SE) and love it.
Me: What is your number one motto?
JM: Maktub – There is a great book written by Paul Cuhola called alchemist and it about a boy who is a shepherd and the book is the journey through his life. In the story you are going to meet many people and they all have different desires and wants. He eventually meets the alchemist who shows him how to look at life. The alchemist shows him life and uses the term Maktub to say “this is the way it is”. So things are the way they are and it is about the way we choose to react to them. You really need to read the book to get whole meaning of Maktub. Also remember it is about the journey not the end.  







John and I

No comments:

Post a Comment